4.19.2009

blessed are the peacemakers

The sermon from Bethlehem today was severely edifying.

Peacemakers are Mirrors of Jesus and His Gospel
Colossians 3:1-17
Ken Sande, Peacemaker Ministries

1. A "truncated gospel" can cripple our souls and relationships (Matthew 22:29).

2. If we truly understand the Gospel of peace, we will delight in mirroring and imitating it as peacemakers (Ephesians 5:1; Colossians 3:12-17).

*Reflect much on Jesus and his gospel, and you will reflect much of Jesus and His Gospel.

3. Conflict is an opportunity to exalt and reflect God's reconciling glory (Exodus 33:18-19; 34:5-8); 1 Corinthians 10:31; Philippians 4:4).

4. I delight in mirroring my union with Christ by guarding peace and unity in his Church (Philippians 2:1-2; Ephesians 4:1-4).

5. When others wrong me, I have the opportunity to imitate the loving correction and forgiveness Jesus gave me through the cross (Galatians 6:1; Colossians 3:13; Acts 7:60; Matthew 18:21-35).

6. Confessing my sins proves I trust in Jesus' mercy, helps me put off harmful habits, and enables me to reflect Jesus' likeness more fully (1 John 1:8-9; Proverbs 28:13; 2 Corinthians 3:18).

7. When people see God empowering me to break free from sin and make peace with others, they may hunger to know the source of that power and peace (Acts 2:42-47).

Blessed are the peacemakers, who mirror Jesus and his gospel, for they will be recognized as and called the sons of God (Matthew 5:9, paraphrased).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you put this up. Ken Sande killed it yesterday. I am looking fwd. to going through this handout more...Love the peace of the gospel with you, Chris (in Piper fashion).